If you experience a security problem such as SPAM, e-mail abuse, copyright infringement, or network intrusion, report it immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org so that it can be resolved as quickly as possible.
Blocked and Compromised Machines
NMSU ICT uses a Network Intrusion Detection System (IDS) to find machines within the NMSU network that have been compromised by Peer-to-Peer file sharing activity or other threats. If you cannot access the NMSU Network, your machine may have been blocked for compromising the network.
If your machine is blocked or compromised, bring it to the ICT Help Desk in room 141 of the Computer Center.
For other Security & Anti-Virus services, click on the links below:
Help Desk Security Services
Virus and Spyware Scanning
ICT Help Desk provides virus and spyware scanning for NMSU students.
To make sure there is a technician available to check in your computer, call us at 646-1840.
Computer Check-in Hours: 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM Monday through Wednesday
ICT Help Desk, room 141 of the Computer Center
Computer maintenance is a first come, first serve service. Unfortunately, our technicians can only check in one computer at a time; we may have to ask you to bring your computer at a later time or different day.
Addtitionally, we do not accept computers the first two weeks of the semester or the last week of the semester.
All students at NMSU have access to free Sophos Anti-Virus software.
Click Here for instructions on how to install this software on your computer.
For an encrypted Internet connection, download the NMSU Virtual Private Network (VPN) Client.
To download the NMSU VPN Client, Click here.
For instructions on downloading the NMSU VPN Client, Click here.
Computer Security Tips & Guidelines
- Run anti-virus software. Sophos anti-virus is provided free of charge to all NMSU students. Click here for instructions.
- Make sure your system’s Automatic Update feature is enabled. On Windows systems, this feature is found in the Control Panel. Click here for instructions.
- Apply and use Passwords. Enable passwords on all user accounts on your computer. Click here for instructions.
- Enable your Firewall. Protect your computer by enabling the firewall. Click here for instructions.
- Disable the sharing feature on all your Peer-to-Peer (P2P) sharing applications.You should also remove non-paid for copyrighted material from your Peer-to-Peer (P2P) sharing applications. For more information about P2P, Click here.